Finally around Thanksgiving, the Benjamin and I bought everything I'd need to complete the project--the sandpaper, the stain (we used Minwax in Antique Walnut Satin--we liked the look of it on For Me-For You), the latex gloves, brushes, etc. I was scared to death I was going to screw up the desk while staining the wood--mostly because I tend to rush through these kinds of projects once I start them. But I made a conscious effort to be careful and patient. I also made an effort to stay positive--I hate to admit it, but I can get pretty grouchy when I don't feel like I'm doing a good job.
I'm glad I was careful with the process (sanding and applying 3 coats of stain) because it paid off. I am completely in love with the finished project. I love the clean lines and simplicity of the desk. And I love that I made it with my own two hands! Well, my own hands and the Benjamin's hands--he helped to drill in the legs.
Our desk is my favorite piece in the apartment and our little home office is my favorite spot--it totally inspires me! I can't believe I'm putting this in writing, but I'm considering future diy projects...stay tuned!